Second Language Learners

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  asc349 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

airblaster
    Participant

Hi there,

first of all, KLC is really a great resource!
      I’ve managed to go through the first 500 entries in about two weeks time with a retention rate of the core meaning of about 80-90% at the moment (though I did know quite a few of them beforehand, I’ve generally tried to learn the mnemonic for all Kanji). I’m planning to go through the marked vocabulary once I’m done with core meaning of all Kanji, and afterwards possibly the whole set of vocabulary.
      Since English is a second language to me, there is something I wanted to note though: The book contains many English words that are not in my vocabulary, making me look up the meanings quite often.
      This is a problem I did not have with other English language Japanese learning materials, e.g. Genki or the TRY JLPT series.
      Would be great if this could be addressed in a future edition of the book.

asc349
      Keymaster

Airblaster,

Thanks for the kind words about KLC!

I appreciate your feedback about the use of advanced English words in the book. I will definitely have this firmly in mind for future editions.

Btw I would not recommend trying to memorize the un-marked vocab in the KLC. The vocabulary is best used for the purpose of trying to understand the meaning of the kanji itself, and how it is used. I would recommend using the Graded Reading Sets to absorb the vocab in a more natural and enjoyable way (including some vocab that’s not in the KLC). Straight vocab memorization (e.g. with Anki) definitely has a place, but I would suggest reapportioning some of your Anki time to the Graded Reading Sets.

airblaster
        Participant

Hi Andrew (I suppose it is you),

thanks for taking on my suggestion about advanced English words and for your feedback on my learning plan.
          Guess I’ll think twice about learning the un-marked vocab then.

I’ve already bought the KLC graded reading set on Amazon (the one the goes up to Kanji #400) and gone through the first 50 entries. So far I already knew most of the readings, so it was possible to read it rather fluently. But now more and more readings I don’t know are appearing, which is why I’ll probably not continue much further until I’ve learned the important vocab in Anki (since I’m not fortunate enough to be among those who can remember Kanji readings just by seeing them a few times).

asc349
          Keymaster

Hi again, Andrew here. Your plan makes sense to me. The GRS series is kind of a new way of learning kanji, so we’ll have to figure out what approach works best. I would suggest studying a kanji or two along with the vocab, writing out the kanji (using the Green Book or scratch paper) while thinking about how its parts relate to its meaning, trying to remember the key (circled) vocab, and then immediately trying to read the GRS exercises for that entry. Perhaps a good additional step would be to try to write out a few of your own original sentences using the key vocab. This would be a good thing to show a teacher or Japanese language partner, for feedback.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

日本語学習フォーラム