How to learn meanings and vocabulary words

Welcome / ようこそ
Learning Japanese Forum 3. Kanji Learner’s Course How to learn meanings and vocabulary words

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rick Nobleman 3 days, 18 hours ago.

• Author

Rick Nobleman
    Participant

Do you think it’s better to go through the KLC learning all of the kanji meanings first and then learning the key vocabulary / readings? Or should I learn the kanji meanings along with the vocabulary?

One advantage of learning all the meanings first is that then I can focus on the most frequent vocabulary words for each kanji. That’s not entirely possible going sequentially since those words often contain kanji that haven’t been introduced yet.

Any strong opinions one way or the other?

asc349
      Keymaster

Hello Rick,

Sorry for the slow reply! (Dissertation crunch time)

My personal opinion is that it’s better to contextualize things, learning kanji meanings with vocab for context (doubly so for kanji readings), and vocab with sentences for context. So if I could go back and do it now, I would try to learn the kanji meaning through the mnemonic, then write it out several times, then go through the vocab trying to grok the meaning of the kanji and how it works in building words (but only memorizing 1-2 words per kanji), then do the GRS exercises for that kanji, then repeat.

This makes for a slow grind, and some people just like to power through 2000 kanji meanings in two months and then go back for the other stuff. But I think the methodical way helps you get wise faster on the nature of the task you are engaged in, and avoid a warped and unnatural kind of learning. Zeroing in on kanji alone, out of context, is not a good habit in my opinion.

Good luck with your studies!
        Andrew

Rick Nobleman
        Participant

Thanks for your comments, Andrew. Good luck on your dissertation! I wonder if it’s related to kanji. 😉

Rick

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

日本語学習フォーラム